Wednesday, April 25, 2007

I think it might have been my first ah-ha moment, hopefully not my last. This being the day I opened the DNA results from the lab. It is a requirement for Guatemalan adoptions to confirm child and mother are indeed biologically connected. I was SO excited to see that envelope as I pulled out the mail, partly because I had no idea it was on its way and also because we were "crossing" something off our list. We were making progress.

So imagine my surprise as I opened the envelope like a wild woman only to come across a single polaroid picture of Mia with her Mama L. Then it became so real. For months Mia's Mama had just been a name on a piece of paper. Now I saw a face. And sad eyes.

It is becoming more and more difficult for me to wrap my mind around it all...to accept that a source of such joy has caused someone, Mama L., so much pain. Sure we hurt. Sure I have days when I'd rather just lay in bed then face another day without her. I'm beginning to realize that our hurt has an end date; Mia will be home with us. But Mama L. isn't so fortunate and that just hurts my heart more than you can imagine.

2 comments:

GDS said...

Nice heart-felt post. One can never truly relate, but we can pray that a Mama L will somehow find peace in her decision.

Anonymous said...

The biological mother will always wonder about Mia and pray that she is happy and having a better life than Mama L would ever able to give her. Her tears will be countless forever. She will always wonder what opportunities her daughter will have, and in that respect she will know she did the right thing. Her arms will ache, her heart will ache, but in the end she will know what she did was best. Believe in that and in your prayers ask that Mama L be at peace.

My love and hugs to you all,
Dixie