Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Grasping at Straws

I made a friendly reminder call to our agency today. About a month ago, I made the same request. You see, I really want to meet Mia's Mama. It is rare in the world of Guatemalan adoptions, but it does happen. And I'm SO hoping this can come to fruition.

Although the circumstances surrounding the loss of my own mom at age eleven are very different from that of Mia's loss of her Mama, I do understand the pain. That hole. I know how hard I've tried to fill my own void, until I just plain gave up. No one...no one, will ever replace my mom. Why in the world would I think things would be different for Mia? I know there's a hole I will never fill and "shoes" that simply will never fit me. Despite my greatest attempts I know Mia will one day wonder, "What if...". Maybe you see this as doubt on my part...doubt about my mothering abilities. I assure you its not.

I realize a simple visit won't dissolve the distance that will be between Mia and her Mama. I do hope, given the opportunity, her Mama will be comforted in meeting us. I hope that one day, Mia will see her mommy cared enough to recognize her loss.

1 comment:

Natalie said...

I am in awe of your words and heart. I am so glad that you are doing this. I feel sometimes that I don't get to hear your heart. It must be hard at times to share with me, but I hope you know I want to listen. I love you and praying all the time for this journey to bring mia home. I read this and see that there is so much that is going on for you beyond just mia and waiting for her to come home. I did not know that this was something you wished to do. I am proud of you for wanting to do this. I hope it can happen.

Love you Dearly!!