Friday, October 5, 2007

Today is the anniversary of my mom's death. It isn't often that I remember on the actual date. Usually, I think about it beforehand and after it's passed. I guess it has been a defense mechanism of sorts. Its been sweet to think of her today.

About a week ago, I was having one of "those" days. My little guy loves to ask questions about EVERYTHING and sometimes it wears my patience thin. Alfonso got home from work and I was venting a wee bit. Just like an good accountability partner, he reminded me that Spencer won't always want to ask me questions or have my attention. Ouch! Sure the statement stung a little, but he was absolutely right. Like any good mom, I headed outside to spend some time with Spencer. At his request, we laid out a blanket on the lawn and lounged. And wouldn't you know, the questions came quickly.

This time the questions were different. Spencer wanted to know about my mom. He had asked me some difficult questions about her a few days before and I didn't know how to answer. Here was my second chance.

He began by asking me how she died and I answered honestly. Then he said this, "So, you don't have a Mommy anymore?"

Gulp.

And I said, "No, Buddy, I don't." And Spencer's sweet reply was, "Mommy, that is so sad. Does that make you sad?"

It was then I realized how important it is to just take the time. Through his questioning, I was touched. Isn't that amazing?

2 comments:

Candi said...

Thank You, Jesus, for our children, and for loving us---caressing us---through them.

I love your blogs, Heather. I check back every day. You are beautiful, and so is your heart. I'm thankful to keep hearing it so clearly through your writing.

Miss you (but it doesn't feel like you're gone so much when I'm reading your blog!).

Anonymous said...

Wow, you can tell Alfonso his piece of advice was enlightening to another Mommy too! I will think of it tomorrow when the 3-year-old's questions start flowing! Thanks, guys! :)