Tuesday, December 4, 2007

He's only three

We decided some time ago to forgo the whole Santa Claus business. I'm not telling you this is what you should do, but we felt it was the best choice for our family. Afterall, I did the whole Santa thing when I was little and I turned out (fairly) normal.

We naively believed we could skirt the topic of S.C. for at least another year. Big mistake! When Spencer returned from a visit with his grandma, she said he wanted to write a letter to Santa Claus to request some toy he just had to have (in case you're wondering, it was a $50 Robosapien). So, Alfonso and I have this 'deer in the headlights' look plastered on both our mugs. Like it or not, the time had come.

Alfonso sat Spencer down and told him the news. Santa Claus isn't real. He's just part of a story people share at Christmastime. And because Alfonso felt he owed it to the kid, he told him a long and far too advanced history of the "real" S.C. (he'd watched something on the History Channel). The tears immediately began to flow. I tried my very best to make out what our little man was trying to squeeze out between the sobs. You see, Spencer wasn't crying because of the news of Santa, he just thought he'd never get the (darn) Robosapien.

So now Spencer has his Robosapien; an early present from his grandma. We've coached Spencer a bunch about not breaking the news of Santa to all his buddies. With the big guy in the red suit due to arrive at his preschool next week, this discussion was a must. I'd keep him out of school that day simply out of fear of what he'd say, but his birthday will be celebrated at school that day. We'll just have to take our chances. If you're an adult you're fair game. My stepmom asked me why Spencer told her that Santa Claus was a dead pope. Lovely!

Geez, Fonz. Keep it simple. The kid's only three :)

No comments: