Friday, August 1, 2008

Claiming God's word for our children

Yesterday was a toughy. We went to bed unsure about how best to handle Spencer's "issue". Spencer's a thinker and for the most part, that's been a good thing. The problem is he thinks too hard about some things and is absolutely sure he'll fail before he even tries. Can you relate a bit? I sure can.

I've come to the conclusion that every child is born with an extreme bend or two. For me, I imagine a little tree with a branch bending at some extreme angle. You realize that particular bend isn't so harmful to the tree now just a little sapling, but one day when that little tree grows big and tall, that bend could very well be crippling. I'm sure you'll agree that it is far easier to adjust an extreme branch while the tree is still pliable and young, and not rigid and old (that rigid and old adjustment part is what landed me in counseling :) and let me tell you, it has been everything but easy).

I don't feel it's our job, or even our right, to try to completely correct our child's "bend". I believe God created my children for a very special purpose and their "bend" may very well play an important, if not vital, role in who He designed them to be. All I ask is that God shows us how to parent our children, that He shows us how to best correct a possible extreme and turn it into something positive, and that the "bend" not be a hinderance for them.

A while ago, I started memorizing a Bible verse with Spencer. I guess you can say I claimed this verse, through prayer, for him.

Phillippians 4:13 "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength."

Isn't that an uplifting verse for us all? Part of me figures that is this verse is repeated enough, I just might believe it too.

We try to pray with our kids every night, but last night I found myself doing something I've failed to do for some time. Last night I took the time to pray over my kids when each was fast asleep. And as I did, I found myself clinging to this very hope:

James 5:16b "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

Who better to ask for help than the God that created both myself and my children?

No comments: