Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter



Nope. Not one picture of the kids dressed in their Easter best, well, because it was a busy morning. Instead I took a few of the kids testing the candy for poisonous ingredients (it's an excuse they've learned from the parents).

Last night I made Easter cookies with Spencer. Each ingredient signifies a portion of the Easter story (i.e. eggs=new life, salt=tears shed by Jesus' followers, white=purity) and I found it to be a fairly simple way to explain Jesus' death and resurrection. I just about teared up today as I heard Spencer telling the Easter story as we ate our cookies. To think that he's beginning to understand why Jesus died for him just blows me away.

Its so easy to get lost in the details and forget the significance of the Easter story. Before you know it, things become complicated. As you're probably well aware, "complicated" doesn't work so well with little ones, especially if you'd like the meaning to stick. As I explained the power of the resurrection to Spencer, I found my eyes reopened to the simplicity of the story. Today I saw Easter through the eyes of my son. And like never before, I find myself holding tight to the promise provided to me through His death and I'm refusing to let go.

Now that's a good reason to eat some cookies :)

No comments: