Saturday, October 4, 2008

Ham and Cheese Turnovers


I promised a dear (and patient) friend I'd publish this recipe a long time ago.  Here's proof that I'm faithful and (sometimes) tardy.

I found this recipe in an old issue of 'Real Simple'.  I'm just now getting to all those magazines collecting dust.  I guess the treadmill is good for something after all.

1 pound package refrigerated pizza dough or homemade pizza dough
(stay away from that Pillsbury stuff...as Mia would say, "That's na-nee" a.k.a. "nasty")
8 ounces deli ham, thinly sliced
4 ounces Swiss cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow onion, cut into thin rings

Heat oven to 400 degrees
Roll the pizza dough into a 14 inch circle and cut into 8 triangles
Stack a piece of ham, cheese and onion on the bottom of each triangle and roll the dough up around the filling (you'll see some of the filling peeking out of the ends)
Transfer the rolls to a parchment-lined baking sheet (not necessary, but it makes clean-up easier)
Bake until golden and crisp, about 20 minutes.  I'm finding it takes more like 30 minutes.

I'm planning on making my own dough once I have a reliable mixer. You know, one that wasn't used to mix tile grout and trips the breaker box.  Needless to say, its now in the garbage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't see much in the way of vegetables in this recipe. Maybe you could add a pound of wheat bran for roughage and some syrup. The grandkids look like they need to spend a night away from the house-maybe with their grandparents. Christy says hi. By the way, your grandfather is only speaking to me in Spanish.
love,
Pa