Monday, July 9, 2007

Today, I opened a letter from the Texas Department of Justice. The man who murdered my mom is up for parole. As relatives of my mom, we're notifed and allowed to plead our case. We are required to respond to this letter within ten days. It was dated July 3rd. Well, isn't that just lovely timing.

Two years ago was his first parole review. I went on a small letter writing campaign (which we're encouraged to do) and even requested an interview with a member of the parole board. This time though, I just don't have it in me. Oh, I will most definitely write a letter, but I can't carry the burden. I'm not responsible for this "justice" system. A sentence should be a sentence (BIG FAT) period.

My uncle reminded me today that the best way to honor my mom is with my life.

I will.

2 comments:

Candi said...

That picture of your mom that's on your blog--you look so much like her.

And you ARE honoring her with your life--through your caretaking, through your authenticity, through your mommy-ness.

I am so glad I know you.

Nicky said...

Heather, I popped in for a bit reading your blog entries. When I came to this post, I was so saddened to read about your mother. I'll be praying for this situation. And you're right, a sentence should be a sentence. (VERY fat period!)

Blessings to ya'!